Vegetable-Miso Soup Vegan Recipe
This is a quick and easy Japanese vegetable miso soup recipe. It’s made for both completely vegetarian and vegan.It’s filled with plenty of vegetables.
Packets of instant Japanese miso soup can be located in the international foods aisle of most well-stocked conventional supermarkets. While most brands are vegan, check the label carefully, as some contain fish products. To reduce the sodium, replace the vegetable broth with water.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon toasted (dark) sesame oil
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 medium zucchini (about 6 ounces), cut lengthwise in half, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small carrot (about 2 ounces), thinly sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can straw mushroom pieces, drained well
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 (.53-ounce) packets instant or white miso soup
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, plus additional, to serve
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces fresh spinach leaves, coarsely torn
- In a medium stockpot, heat the 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the celery and white parts of the scallions; cook, stirring until just softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and carrot; cook, stirring until just softened, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the miso soup packets, soy sauce, and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, 7 to 10 minutes, until zucchini and carrot are tender.
- Add the spinach, scallion greens, and remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil; cook, stirring until the spinach is wilted but still bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Serve hot, with additional soy sauce passed separately.
- Calories 103
- Fat 5g at. Fat
- Protein 6g
- Total Fat 5g
- Sat. Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg ate 10g
- Dietary Fiber 3g
- Carbohydrate 10g
- Dietary Fiber 3g
- Sodium 993mg