Zaalouk is a delicious vegan cooked salad made with eggplant, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and spices. It’s a common side dish to many meals and is usually served as a dip with crusty bread. Enjoy the recipe!
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro and parsley, mixed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- a small wedge of lemon (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a large, deep skillet or pot.
- Cover and simmer over medium to medium-high heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust the heat if necessary to avoid burning the zaalouk.
- Use a spoon or potato masher to crush and blend the tomatoes and eggplant. If you like, a small wedge of lemon can be added to the pan at this time. Continue simmering, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the liquids are reduced and the zaalouk can be stirred into a heap in the center of the pan.
- Serve warm or cold with crusty bread.
Nutritional Guidelines (per serving):
- Calories 163
- Total Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Unsaturated Fat 7g
- Sodium 596 mg
- Carbohydrates 19g
- Dietary Fiber 5g
- Protein 4g