Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
Question: What’s better than mushroom? Answers: mushrooms stuffed and overflowing with goodness! In this Vegan recipe, the tofu and the mushrooms accent each other beautifully, creating these wonderful little bundles that can serve as party snacks, or as appetizers.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 12 1/3 ounces silken tofu, blended
- 2 pounds mushrooms, whole (about 60 large button mushrooms)
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 1/3 cups chopped celery, chopped fine (from about 3-4 stalks)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (divided)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- Take the mushrooms and wash and stem them. Put the mushroom caps in a small bowl and put them aside. Chop the mushroom stems finely.
- Place a pot over medium-high heat and add oil. When the oil is hot, sauté the onion for a few minutes, then add in the stems and cook until they’ve lost all their moisture. Put in the celery as well and give it a few more minutes to cook. It should take about 20 minutes for them all to be done. Add the sage and the thyme and mix it all up. Remove it from the heat and fold in the smoothly blended tofu as well as 1/2 a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Take the mushroom caps, add oil and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, then with a teaspoon press the filling (i.e. the original mixture) into each mushroom cap. As the mushrooms will shrink in the oven, don’t overfill them.
- Take a baking tray, cover it with parchment and place the filled mushrooms on to it. Turn your oven to 400˚F and bake the mushrooms for 30-40 minutes, or until browned. They are ready to be served.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
- Calories 29
- Protein 2 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Fat 2 g
- Carbohydrates 2 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Sodium 101 mg