Vegan Quick Pasta Puttanesca Recipe
You’ll never miss the anchovies in this speedy vegan variation of the infamous “streetwalker style” spaghetti alla puttanesca Recipe.
Serves: 3 to 4 servings
- 8 ounces spaghetti or linguine1
- ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 to 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped kalamata or other good-quality black olives
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped green olives
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped, drained capers
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- In a large stockpot, cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water according to package directions until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, oregano, salt, red pepper ﬂakes (if using), and black pepper; bring to a brisk simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta and basil (if using) and toss well to combine.
- Serve at once.
- Calories 418|
- Protein 11g
- Total Fat 12g
- Sat. Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Carbohydrate 67g
- Dietary Fiber 4g
- Sodium 588mg