Vegan Nicoise Salad Recipe
The thing that makes this vegan salad great is that it’s so easy to adapt the recipe. Just add whatever vegetables you like. For example, you can make it with green beans, broccoli, carrots or even artichoke hearts. The key is to keep the vegetables crisp.
Yield: Serves 4
PrepTime: less than 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 8 ounces of extra-firm organic tofu, drained
- 4 purple potatoes or any variety of fingerlings
- 16 asparagus spears
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup of snow peas (or green beans)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup pitted olives
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (divided)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (divided)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon (divided)
- To make the vinaigrette, gather 3 tablespoons of the apple cider vinegar, the olive oil, maple syrup, water, shallot, mustard, as well as the salt and black pepper in a food processor and process until smooth. Put the result in a bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon of tarragon, the parsley, and thyme. Do the taste test and add seasoning to where you’re happy with it.
- For the crispy tofu, take a medium bowl and in it mix together 2 tablespoons of the apple cider vinegar, 1/2 a teaspoon of the tarragon, 1/2 a tablespoon of thyme, the garlic, and the apple juice and whisk it all. Next, slice the tofu into 1/2 inch slices and add them as well. Cover the bowl and let the tofu marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Take a medium non-stick pan, put in a teaspoon of oil and allow it to heat over a medium-high heat. When ready, add the marinated tofu and give it 3-5 minutes per side – the idea is to sear the tofu closed, then set the tofu aside. Take a pot, put in the potatoes and enough water to cover them, and bring the whole thing to a boil. You want the potatoes to become fork tender but still be firm. This will take about 15.
- Take them from the heat, get rid of the water, let them cool and then peel and slice the potatoes into rounds. Add salt and pepper.
- Cut the woody ends of the asparagus, then cut them into thirds and place them in a steamer over boiling water. Put the lid on and give them about 3 minutes. Be sure you don’t overcook them! Remove the asparagus from the heat and set them aside.
- In their place in the steamer go the snow peas. Again, put the lid on and give them about 1 minute. They should be bright green but still, have a snap to them.
- In each plate begin with a bed of mixed greens, put on top the crispy tofu and arrange the potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, asparagus and snow peas in a visually appealing manner. Sprinkle thyme and parsley over top, give it a drizzle of the mustard vinaigrette and serve.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
- Calories 593
- Protein 26.6 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Fat 11.8 g
- Carbohydrates 103.5 g
- Fiber 25.9 g
- Sodium 505 mg