Vegan Cream Scones Recipe
Light and crumbly vegan scones served with strawberry jam and freshly whipped coconut cream. A delicious Recipe for afternoon tea or dessert.
These are quick to put together, and the dough can be made in advance and refrigerated. It’s important to keep the ingredients as cold as possible, using the freezer method below. For the gorgeous strawberry shortcakes, omit the dried berries and coconut milk glaze. Split in half crosswise, and fill with sliced strawberries and Vanilla Custard.
Makes 1 dozen
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose ﬂour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons cold nonhydrogenated shortening, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup dried cranberries or cherries
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup crystal sugar (large-grained sugar; regular is a fine substitute)
- Heat the oven to 400° F. Have a large, ungreased baking sheet ready.
- Combine the nondairy milk and vinegar, and set aside while you get on with the dough.
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the ﬂour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Place in the freezer while you measure the shortening. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut in the shortening until the texture resembles something between peas and breadcrumbs. Return to the freezer for several minutes, or up to 30.
- Pour the liquid in and—using a light hand—briefly agitate the mixture until everything is almost moistened. Scrape the sides with a ﬂexible spatula, folding the dough together until nearly all loose ﬂour is incorporated.
- Shape dough into a 2½-inch-wide log, and slice into about 10 rounds. Dip the top of each scone into coconut milk, then press into a shallow plate of crystal sugar to coat liberally. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet, and bake until puﬀed and golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.
Omit dried fruit. Substitute fresh lemon juice for apple cider vinegar, and add 1 teaspoon lemon zest with the nondairy milk mixture