Vegan Chocolate Truffle Cake Recipe
Love chocolate? Then this tender, luxurious Chocolate truffle cake is for you. With a ganache topping and a fabulous filling. Enjoy this vegan recipe.
Makes 12 to 16 slices
When I want something decadent and impressive to bring to a party, this is my first choice. All the elements of the cake except ganache can be prepared several days in advance and refrigerated. The Chocolate Sponge and Whipped Truffle Mousse also freeze exceptionally well.
To prepare and transfer the cake as easily as possible, use a cardboard cake round, which can be purchased at cake supply stores. Or, make your own: simply cut out a 9-inch or 10-inch circle from sturdy cardboard.
- Chocolate Sponge (2 9-inch layers), cooled completely.
- 2 cups Whipped Truffle Mousse.
- 2½ cups ganache prepared while refrigerating the cake.
- Using a serrated knife, split the cake layers into halves. Beginning with one of the cakes, slide the blade nearly halfway in, and gently saw back and forth, turning the cake as you go.
- Continue turning and slicing until the knife goes all the way through. Slide the top half onto a plate or cake round, and set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining cake layer.
- Smear a dab of the mousse onto a cardboard round. Position one of the cake layers on top, and gently press down to secure it. Using an oﬀset metal spatula, spread about ½ cup of the mousse over the layer.
- Top with another cake layer, and repeat with the remaining mousse and cake, finishing with a layer of cake.
- With the remaining mousse, crumb coat the cake: spoon a large dollop on top and spread it very thinly to the edges. It will spill over the edges and begin to slump down the sides. Using the oﬀset spatula, continue spreading filling around the sides of the cake, turning as you do.
- Be sure to cover any loose crumbs to create the smoothest finish possible. Refrigerate the cake while you prepare the ganache. When the ganache is ready for pouring, position the cake on a wire rack set over a cake pan that extends several inches beyond the cake’s diameter.
- Pour the ganache into a steady stream over the center of the cake, allowing it to run over the sides. Once the cake is mostly coated, begin to pour ganache over any bare areas.
- If you must, use an oﬀset spatula to spread it a bit. It’s best to avoid this since working the ganache will ruin its sheen.
- Serve wedges of the cake warm, topped with nondairy ice cream and a sauce of warmed ganache. desserts Keep the layers unsplit, and stack. Fill with Vanilla Custard and fresh berries. Prepare the cake as directed, filling with Coconut Caramel and sliced fresh bananas. Top the poured ganache with curls of coconut and chopped brazil nuts.